Friday, November 9, 2012

Free Santa Ornament Pattern

Hello lovelies!  I have a bit of a surprise for you all - actually, it's really an early Christmas pressie for those of you who love to sew!  This darling little Santa ornament is super easy and fun to make and I'm sure if you get started on them now, you can whip up some for your family members, co-workers and friends!  To download the pattern pieces, please click here.


You'll need:

:  Scraps of red, white, blush and green felt
:  A pair of 4.5mm safety eyes
:  Embroidery thread
:  Polyfil
:  Seed beads
:  Crewel embroidery thread or narrow ribbon for ornament loop
:  Tiny pompom
:  Pink pencil crayon
:  Water soluble marker, craft glue


Lay pattern pieces onto felt and carefully cut out.  I prefer to use a sharp pair of embroidery scissors to cut out the felt pieces as they provide a precise cut, especially around tight corners and pointy bits.  ::  Please click on the photos to enlarge them  ::


Position the face behind the facial hair and pin in place.

























View from the back.











 Using small, neat stitches, applique opening of facial hair onto face.


Mark nose, mouth and eyes as shown with your water soluble pen.





Embroider nose onto face, and mouth onto beard.
Being very careful, make two tiny holes where you've marked the eyes using the tip of a very sharp pair of scissors.  (Again, the embroidery scissors work best).  Insert safety eyes and connectors at back..  Embroider tiny eyebrows above the eyes and add a hint of colour to his cheeks with your pink pencil crayon.







Position hat onto facial hair, slightly overlapping the bottom edge of the hat onto the top edge of the facial hair.  Repeat with the back pieces, taking note that they need to be reversed in order for them to match up with the fronts when it's time to sew them together.

Applique bottom edge of hat onto facial hair.








 Align bottom edge of hat cuff onto bottom edge of hat.  Applique bottom edge as well as top edge of hat cuff onto hat.  Repeat on the back piece.













Stitch base of holly leaves in place and sew on three seed beads.













Cut a 7.5 inch length of crewel embroidery thread or ribbon for your ornament loop.  Fold in half and knot the end.  Stitch knot into place on the INSIDE of the back of the hat as shown, keeping your stitches small and invisible as you don't want to see them from the right side of the felt.









Lay front onto back and pin.  Starting at one side of the hat, and using red embroidery thread, blanket stitch all the way around to the other side of the hat.  End off your thread.

Start blanket stitching at the hat cuff with your white thread, stopping about an inch before you reach the other side of the hat band.  Stuff and blanket stitch opening closed.






Glue a little pompom onto the tip of his hat, and voila, you have a sweet little Santa ornament!

Have fun!
~Shelly xo


49 comments:

  1. Hi!!! Thank You!!! I think he is just too adorable!!!! I hope to get some made!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet!! I absolutely love my Evie and now to have a Santa ornie too!!!xoxo~kimber

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thoughtful of you!!! I hope I can do him justice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet Santa ornament!!! You're designs are the best!!

    Thank You, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thak you so much, for the Santa, he is lovely, I lov all your pattern
    Hugs Mia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much he is a real sweaty.
    Hugs kay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thank you! Another one of your sweet patterns. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't get the pdf file link to work/open. Is it just me??

    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't either ! I will try over and over til I DO get it, It's too cute to pass by. Thank You in advance :D

      Delete
    2. Hi Ladies, try mousing to the link, then right-clicking on it. Click "save link as" and save it to your computer. Then you should be able to open it and print from where you saved it. That's what I do. Actually when I save it, it shows the download at the bottom of my screen, and I can just open it from there to print it out!

      Delete
  10. Fun indeed will be making some off these. Thank you so much...Huge admirer of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for such a cute ornie, Shelly! I am certainly going to make at least one of these cute Santas!!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so going to make a couple of these for my teachers and friends at my son's high school! They all know that I love to make crafty things and I am sure they will love them! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "spacibo" Thank you. I will post a note on Prim Pals about this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You rock! Thanks for sharing with us! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "spacibo" Thank you. I will post a note on Prim Pals about this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Que lindo!
    Muito obrigada!!

    Abraços,
    Fabiana.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so welcome! For those of you who had problems downloading the pattern, please try clicking on the link again as it's been updated and should work perfectly for everyone now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Unfortunately I can not download the pdf ... : (

      Delete
  18. ich bin begeistert,danke für das wunderschöne Muster

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my, your work is darling, lovely and inspiring. May your creative successes be all you wish for. A new admirer, Sheri of Sheri McCulley Studio

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uau!! Tienes un sitio maravilloso. Ahora ya te sigo!!!

    Por cierto, ayer inicié la 1a Edición de #Concurs de Manualitats - Educació i les TIC. Puede que te interese participar o hacer un poco de difusión. Qué, te animas? Muchas gracias.

    Salutaciones.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This Santa is so cute! I did get the pattern to print but I have a quick question - how size is the completed Santa? The pattern on the screen looks much larger than the printed pattern. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the lovely present....cant wait to make her

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's adorable creatiom Shelly... Thank you for your pattern..

    -Pipit-

    ReplyDelete
  24. as always adorable - you must have some sturdy finger tips with all the hand sewing you do! :-)
    I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cute, as usual! Question...how did you make the blue marks go away in the last picture? The marker was water soluble (never used one of those)...did you dampen it or ? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing one of your wonderful creations with us for free. He's easy enough I hope to make up a few. : )

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope you don't mind...I posted a link to this free pattern on my blog today.....http://mytategallery.blogspot.ca/2012/11/more-monthly-makes-for-november.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Found you via Mary Ann. he is a very cute Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your Santa is lovely Shelly .. Thank you for sharing your pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wath a adorable little santa. Over here in holland we just had sant nicoles over, and your santa looks like him.i deffenetly are coing to make him.


    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi sweet Shelly! I love this darling Santa! He has such a sweet and jolly face! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. I clicked on the link, but the pdf comes up as an error. Love and hugs, Paula xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am having an error opening the .pdf as well. I'm planning making a couple of these as gifts for Christmas. Could you by chance email me the pattern? Thanks.
    frogpaw_studio@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great Santa, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is such a darling Santa ~ Thank you so very much for sharing the pattern! I made one and I couldn't be more delighted with the results! I blogged about it here http://lawhimsy.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. He's so cute! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, all your dolls are amazing.
    I am a fan,

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you so much. Santa is adorable. Tomorrow I need to venture out and find some needles.. Any special kind would you suggest? Blessings from Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm for sure I'm going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you!! I love absolutely everything you create!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I love reading what you have to say!