Tuesday, January 25, 2011

With a Sad Heart

Sadness has touched our family.  Our beloved cat had to be put to sleep last week after battling a rare kidney disease.  When he was no more than a day old, we found him abandoned in our apartment's underground parking lot by his mother, a feral cat.  No matter how many times I tried to put him back in the nest she'd made inside a wooden box concealing some pipes, she would not have anything to do with him.  His little umbilical cord was still attatched...  So, we took him to the vet, got some kitten formula and I proceeded to bottle feed him every 2 hours for a number of weeks.  He loved that bottle so much!  When it came time to ween him, I added wet kitten food to the formula and fed it to him in that bottle too.  We had to replace the nipple every other day as his little teeth would tear it to shreds!  He grew into a wonderful companion, enjoying car rides, camping, walking on a leash and eating marshmellows.  He truly was a very special part of our family and knowing that there was no way to cure his medical problem, only prolong it, we did everything we could to help him live the best life he could.  Sadly, he couldn't fight it anymore.  We couldn't bear to watch him suffer just so we could keep him with us a while longer.  Making the decision to put him down was the hardest thing we've ever had to do, and we miss him terribly!

I couldn't stand being at home without his constant companionship, so on Saturday, we picked up our new baby, a sweet little ginger kitten.  He doesn't have a real name yet, though for now we call him Babycat.  He's helped to heal our hearts a bit and I know as time goes by, he'll be just as dear to us as his big brother was!


Isn't he the cutest thing??  He's quite fascinated by my dolls and is enjoying Willow's company here.


I managed to finish up some new Gingerbelles for my shop this weekend and also made the pattern available for those who'd like to make some of their own.  They're super easy to make and quite sweet once done.  I've used my favorite felt from http://www.feltorama.com/. to make them.  I cannot say enough about this wondeful felt and April's fantastic customer service!  Please check out the feature she did on my patterns!!

For the next while, I'll be finishing up a few custom orders I'm working on at the moment.  Here's a sneak peek of my new desk with my work in progress:)


  
Have a lovely week!
Shelly

19 comments:

  1. Oh Shelly, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty! That is such a hard thing. Our pets really are members of our family, aren't they? Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they really are Kinda! I always find it really hard when they go and almost hate getting another one because of the misery in the end. But, I think the joy they bring far outweighs the sorrow they leave us with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, my friend, I am so sorry. The hardest thing I've done in my adult life is have two beloved cats put to sleep. My heart aches for you.

    I cannot imagine our life without cats, and yes, the sorrow is worth the joy they bring. Take care and enjoy your Babycat; he is utterly precious.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Beth! I'm slowly mending, today was especially hard as it's one week and I feel like a watering pot! Thanks heavens for Babycat though, he does put a smile on my face with his kitten antics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Shelly, I´m very sorry for your loss. I hope that you will cheer up your hearts with your new lovely kitten, which is the cutest thing.
    Love your Gingerbelles!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry that you had to put down your dear cat. That's such a heart-breaking thing. I'm glad you have Babycat to keep you entertained though.
    Heaps of Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sorry for your loss, I lost two last year, but have also recovered with the help of a little ginger kitty. Time heals the heart, and Babycat is so cute
    Karey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelly - I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your furry friend. I wish you many years of happiness with your new sweetie! Thank you also for the kind words about Felt-o-rama! I'm so fortunate to have you as a customer :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much dear friends, your words have really cheered me up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww... such a sweet little face. I'm sure he will do his darndest to be a great companion Shelly....

    I guess most of us have had to deal with the loss of pets at one time or another....and it is just as bad as losing a human loved one... it really is.

    hugs to you..

    Vee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Shelly! I am so sorry for your loss. It´s sooo hard to lose a furbaby and even harder when you have to make that difficult decision. My sweet kitty Astra got a kidney desease as well and I had to make the decision to have her put down cause I could tell she was suffering and letting her go was the only humane thing to do. That day at the vets´ was one of the worst days in my life. I knew she was in a better place though and that´s what got me through.
    Babycat is so adorable! Nothing like a new kitty to bring some joy into a home. I´m sure he will be a great help in your time of sorrow.
    Big hugs from Lina in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just saw this post. :( I'm sooo sorry!! I really feel like crying. I can imagine how hard it is, I am sooo attached to my two furbabies!! Your new little companion is verrrrrry sweet. I'm sure you'll become fast friends and have many wonderful times together!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Vee, Lina and KellyJo, thanks so much for your words of comfort! Babycat is a great joy to have around and is slowly making himself at home and healing our hearts!!
    hugs,
    Shelly:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the first time that I have visited your blog -- I found it through your etsy shop. I know how painful your loss must be and I just wanted to add another little hug to help you heal... Your new little kitty looks like he will be keeping you busy and adding some sunshine to your days too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much My happy bluebird!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shelly I am so so sorry...oh I wish I had seen this earlier to tell you how sorry I am that you have lost your beloved cat..I am a huge cat person myself,but because of my allergies I am not able to have one.(Fortunately dogs I am not allergic to)but when I grew up we always had cats and I sooooo love them.Seeing your new little fellow,makes me so happy for you too.Bittersweet feeling it must be for you right now,being so happy with him and missing your other pallie...wishing you strength but also happiness and sending you hugs from Holland.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the hugs Dees! Needed those! Our little new guy is adjusting well and keeping us busy and it's nice to have another one to love. Will post some new pics of him soon as he's getting bigger everyday!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Shelly!
    i know how hard is to loose our little friends..
    & it's harder when you have to make that difficult decision...i made the same thing with my sweet Dudù :) 'cause he was suffering and letting him go was the only humane thing to do.
    After a few months of great sadness..(I could not even draw, create, produce something...)
    I decided to take 2 new cats .. and then one more! ;)
    and now things are better .. and also my creations! & my Dudù will remain forever in my Heart!
    *.*

    I'm really enchanted by your creations and I will follow this blog forever!
    I could see the new puppy as it grows
    Thank u so much for your (He)Art!
    & sorry for my english!!
    :)
    kisses from Italy
    S*

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry about your loss, it is never easy to part with a furry companion, he had a wonderful life with you. The little one is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I love reading what you have to say!